Try out dal and palak cooked in Andhra style. This is a very healthy combination loaded with nutrition. It can be served with plain rice or rotis.
Spinach ... 1 bunch
Toor Dal .. 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder ,, 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli powder .. 1/2 tsp
Amchoor powder 1/2 tsp or juice of half lime. ( you can use Tamarind juice also )
Salt ... To taste
Onion ... 1 small
Tomato .. 1 small
Ginger .... 1 tsp (grated)
Garlic .... 1 tsp (crushed)
Cumin Seeds ... 1 tsp
Mustard seeds ... 1 tsp
Dry red chillies... 1-2
Curry leaves ... 1 sprig
Asafoetida ..... a pinch
Oil ...... 1-2 tbsps
1. Wash dal and soak it for 1 hour.
2. In a pressure cooker cook dal with chopped spinach and salt adding just enough water too cook.
3. In a pan add oil and the tempering ingredients : asafoetida, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chillies and curry leaves.
4. When they crackle, add the onion and saute for a minute. Tip in the ginger garlic and saute.
5. Now add the tomatoes and cook until they are soft.
6. Add the salt, red chilli powder and any souring agent like amchoor, lemon juice or tamarind juice.
7. Stir it into the slightly mashed dal.
Dal palak looks yumm... very nice.ReplyDelete
wow love the combo of dals and palak... very healthy and very tasty!!! Thanks for sending this yummy recipe to my event.. Looking for more yummy recipes...ReplyDelete
Event - Authentic Indian Sweets w giveaway
Event - Kid's delight - Sweet Treats
Event - WTML w giveaway
Thanks for liking SowmyaDelete
I love the idea of making dall palak using toor dall. Healthy and tasty combination.ReplyDelete
One of my fave dal veg combinations. Perfect with rice.ReplyDelete
Mine too .. ThanksDelete
In winters I make Dal Palak quite often but never made with toor dal. Will try your way whenever I make it next time. Such a comforting and nutritious share!ReplyDelete
This is Andhra style.. even we usually combine it with chana dalDelete
Love dals with spinach in it. Looks so delicious.ReplyDelete
Same here .. Thanks for likingDelete
What an awesome looking delicious dal palak. my preparation of dal slightly different from yours, I don’t use add amchur powder. So comforting dal.ReplyDelete
Thanks for liking JollyDelete