Try out dal and palak cooked in Andhra style. This is a very healthy combination loaded with nutrition. It can be served with plain rice or rotis.
Spinach ... 1 bunch
Toor Dal .. 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder ,, 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli powder .. 1/2 tsp
Amchoor powder 1/2 tsp or juice of half lime. ( you can use Tamarind juice also )
Salt ... To taste
Onion ... 1 small
Tomato .. 1 small
Ginger .... 1 tsp (grated)
Garlic .... 1 tsp (crushed)
Cumin Seeds ... 1 tsp
Mustard seeds ... 1 tsp
Dry red chillies... 1-2
Curry leaves ... 1 sprig
Asafoetida ..... a pinch
Oil ...... 1-2 tbsps
1. Wash dal and soak it for 1 hour.
2. In a pressure cooker cook dal with chopped spinach and salt adding just enough water too cook.
3. In a pan add oil and the tempering ingredients : asafoetida, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chillies and curry leaves.
4. When they crackle, add the onion and saute for a minute. Tip in the ginger garlic and saute.
5. Now add the tomatoes and cook until they are soft.
6. Add the salt, red chilli powder and any souring agent like amchoor, lemon juice or tamarind juice.
7. Stir it into the slightly mashed dal.