Delicious and spicy lamb chops prepared in the dhaba style, marinated and slow cooked with aromatic spices, yogurt, ginger, garlic, mint and coriander.The sauteeing takes a bit of a time but it is worth the effort. This dish goes well with rotis and naans or it can be relished like a snack too. If you are serving it as a snack just reduce the quantity of onion.
Mutton chops .. 500 gms
Onions .......... 2 medium
Ginger .......... 1 small piece grated
Garlic ........... 2 tsps crushed
Green chillies .. 1-2 slit
Yogurt ........ 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves ,, handful
Mint leaves ..... few
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder .. 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder .. 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder .. 1/4 tsp
Garam masala powder .. 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon stick ... 1 piece
Black cardamom ... 1
Cloves .... 4-5
Bay leaves .. 1-2
Salt .. as needed
Coriander leaves and onion rings and lemon wedges for garnishing.
1. Clean the mutton chops and marinate them with salt and yogurt. You can also add a little bit of spice powders to the marination.
2. In a pan add oil and tip in the whole spices mentioned in the list.
3. Next add the sliced onions and stir fry to golden brown colour.
4, Put the marinated chops and the ginger garlic.
5. Keep stirring from time to time adding a little water when it dries up until it gets a nice brown colour.
6. Add the salt and all the spice powders and chopped coriander mint leaves. Sprinkle a little water again and simmer. At this stage the quantity of water you add is according to how you are serving your chops. If it is a snack then you add very little.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves, onion rings and lemon wedges before serving.
Note: In Brazil the mutton we get is not tender. So I have half cooked the chops in a pressure cooker and then followed the above procedure. You may do the same if needed. In India I do it directly as the meat cooks very easily.