I had eaten this sabzi in a friend's house and really loved this combo. She had made it with pureed spinach and slightly gravy form. I have made it dry.... just sauteed it with onion, lot of garlic, ginger and spice powders. It tasted awesome just with plain rotis. In Brazil we get many varieties of mushrooms I have used very large mushrooms each was the size of a palm. If you don't find them you can use any variety or the button mushrooms which are easily available.
Mushrooms .... 4 large (or use 12-15 button mushrooms )
Spinach / Palak ..... 2 cups finely chopped
Onions ..... 1 large (sliced)
Tomato .... 1 small
Green chillies .... 1-2
Ginger .... 1 tsp
Garlic ... 1 tbsp (crushed )
Turmeric powder .... 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder ... 1 tsp
Cumin powder ........ 1 tsp
Salt ............. to taste
Oil ......... 2-3 tbsps
Coriander leaves ... handful
1. In a pan heat oil and saute the garlic to a light golden colour.
2. Add the sliced onion and ginger paste. saute until translucent.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes and simmer until they get cooked.
4. Now tip in the sliced mushrooms, salt and the spice powders. Saute for half a minute.
5.Stir in the finely chopped spinach and coriander leaves.Cover the pan.
6. Simmer and cook on low flame until the water dries up stirring a couple of times.
It gets cooked in its own juices / water from the mushrooms.
Serve with rotis.