Lehsun ka achar means garlic pickle. This is a very easy recipe made with whole garlic cloves and spices. Mustard oil is used in making this pickle which adds a nice flavour to it. The spice level can be adjusted to your preference. It hardly takes time to prepare this pickle and about a week to mature. You can leave it in the sunlight for few days giving the bottle a shake everyday. Since garlic is available round the year you can prepare it in smaller quantities and enjoy the fresh pickle.
Here goes the recipe....
Garlic cloves ......... 1/2 cup
Mustard oil ........... 5-6 tbsps
Lemon juice .......... 3 tbsps
Chilli powder ...... 2 tbsps (1 tbsp hot one + 1 tbsp Kashmiri chilli powder)
Jaggery ................ 1 tsp (optional)
Salt .................... 1 tsp or as needed
Asafoetida ....... 1/4 tsp
Dry roast and grind:
Mustard seeds ........... 3 tsps
Fenugreek or methi seeds .. 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds ................... 1 tsp
Coriander seeds ............. 1 tsp
1. Dry roast and grind the spices mentioned in the second list. Keep the texture little coarse.
2. Heat mustard oil to a smoking point and cool it a bit.
3. Add the garlic and saute.
4. Add the turmeric powder and asafoetida. Continue to stir on low flame for couple of minutes.
5. Next add lemon juice followed by chilli powder, jaggery and salt.
6. Cook it for half a minute and switch off the gas.
7. Now stir in the ground spice mix.
8. Fill it into a dry sterilized jar after it is cooled.
9. It will be ready to consume in 6-7 days.
10. If possible keep it in the sunlight and shake the bottle everyday until it matures. This will really enhance the colour and flavours.
Check out the video
This recipe is made for the event - A-Z Recipe Challenge.
Season 1 - We have completed the first season making the recipes alphabetically with ingredients with English names. ( eg. A - Apple, Artichoke, Asparagus ..)
Season 2 - We decided to make the recipes alphabetically with Hindi names. ( A - Anar, Adrak Aloo ... )
This month the Alphabet is L - I made the Lehsun Ka achar
Recipe List of A-Z Challenge (Season 2)
A - Adraki Aloo (Baby Potatoes with ginger and spice powders)
B - Begun Bhaja ( Bengali style fried Brinjals)
C - Chukandar Ke Parathe (Stuffed Beetroot Parathas)
D - Farali Dahi Chawal ( Barnyard Millet Curd Rice / Samak ke Dahi Chawal )
E - Elaichi Cup Cakes ( Cardamom flavoured cup cakes )
F - False ke Biscuits ( Lemon Currant Cookies )
G - Gud Wale Pohe (Sweet Flattened Rice Flakes with jaggery)
H - Hare Dhaniye ki Sabzi ( Fresh Coriander stir fry )
I - Imli Gosht ( Hyderabadi style tangy Mutton Curry)
J - Jowar ke Phulke (Sorghum Flour Flatbreads)
K - Karele ki Bhurji ( Diced Bitter Gourd Stir fry)
L - Lehsun Ka Achar ( Garlic Pickle)
M - Moong Dal with sarson (Moong lentils with mustard greens)
N - Neembu Gud Ki Shikanji (Indian summer drink with lemon)