Have you ever come across these tiny karelas... they are called kasara kayalu in Telugu. I have seen them only in Andhra Pradesh. We get them mostly around monsoon season heaps of them sold in carts. Surprisingly they are not available through out the year.
This is a simple dry preparation of these karelas. usually in Andhra they add a lot of chilli powder to this stir fry but I have made it milder. You may add onions or skip them.This preparation goes well with thin jowar rotis.
Baby karelas ... 200 gms
Onion ........... 1 (sliced)
Garlic ........... 3-4 cloves (crushed)
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder .. 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder ......... 1/2 tsp (adjust as per your liking)
Tamarind juice ... 1-2 tbsps
Jaggery ... 1 tsp (crushed)
Salt .......... to taste
Oil ......... 2 tbsps
Coriander leaves .. for garnishing
Mustard seeds .. 1 tsp
Asafoetida ....... 1 pinch
Curry leaves .... few
1. Wash the karelas and snip off the two ends. Wipe them dry with a kitchen towel.
2. In a griddle dry roast the karelas (no oil ) for 5-7 minutes turning them until they get roasted evenly. Remove them and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a sauce pan and add the tempering ingredients.
4. When they crackle, add the garlic, onion and saute for a minute.
5. Tip in the roasted baby karelas. Add salt and spice powders and stir well. Add the tamarind juice and jaggery. Mix well and simmer stirring occasionally.
6. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with jowar rotis or as a side dish with dal chawal/ sambar rice.