Grated coconut .... 4 tbsps
Coriander leaves ... 3 tbsps
Green chillies ....... 1 or 2
Lemon juice ........ 1 tsp
Roasted and crushed peanuts ... 2-3 tbsps
Salt ............ to taste
Sugar or honey ........ 1 tsp
Cumin seeds ... 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds .. 1/2 tsp (optional)
Curry leaves .. few
Oil or ghee ..... 1 tsp
1. Dry roast the peanuts and crush them in a pestle and mortar after removing the skin.
2. Peel the cucumbers and cut them into very tiny pieces.
3. Cut the coriander and green chillies also very finely.
4. In a bowl mix the ingredients from the first list. The quantity can be adjusted to your liking.
5. Heat oil in a small pan. Add the tempering ingredients.
6. When they crackle mix them into the salad.
7. Serve immediately.
1. For best results do the mixing part just before serving because salt leaves water and also the peanuts loose the crunchiness.
2. You can substitute the sugar with honey.
3. Add more green chillies if you like it spicier.
This salad is part of the "Shhhhh Cooking Secretly" challenge where a group of bloggers are paired with a different partner each month. They choose two secret ingredients from the chosen theme and we have to prepare the dish using them.
The theme for this month is - Summer Salads suggested by Kalyani Shri of Sizzling Tastebuds
I am paired with Mayuri Patel who blogs at Mayuri's Jikoni . Do visit her blog and check out her lovely recipe collection
Mayuri gave me the two secret ingredients - Peanuts and Green Chillies. Using these I made the above spicy salad from Maharashtra.