Here is a recipe of rich, soft and delectable Nawabi Naans. A perfect party dish that you can make and impress your friends. They are so delicious that you cannot stop with one. They can be relished with shahi curries.
APF / Maida ......... 2 cups or as needed
Almonds .............. handful (soaked)
Pistachios .......... handful (soaked)
Ghee / clarified butter .... 2-3 tbsps to brush on the naans
Oil ......................... 2 tbsps (for the dough)
Salt ...................... 1/2 tsp
Sugar .................. 1 tsp
Dry Yeast ............ 2 tsps
Milk powder ............ 2 tbsps
Silver varq ----------- few sheets (optional)
1. To activate the yeast, take half cup of luke warm water. Mix the sugar and yeast. Cover and set it aside in a warm place until it becomes frothy.
2. In a large bowl mix the milk powder with maida / APF
3. Add the salt and 1 tbsp of oil on the sides and make a well in the center.
4. Start kneading with the yeast mixture adding it little by little. If needed take more luke warm water.
5. Finish kneading with the help of the remaining 1 tbsp. of oil and make a smooth dough.
6. Gather it into a ball. Cover with a cling wrap and set it aside for rising.
7. Meanwhile slice the soaked almonds and pistachios.
8. Take the risen dough and knock it gently to remove air bubbles.
9. Take a small portion as needed and roll it out into an oval shape.
10. Put some almond and pistachio slices and roll it further so that they stick in the naan.
11. Apply some water on the reverse side of the naan with your fingers.
12. Heat the griddle / tawa and put the wet side of the naan on it.
13. Cook on medium flame for 30 - 40 seconds or until done.
14. Invert the tawa and cook the other side directly on the flame moving the tawa to roast it evenly.
15. Spoon some butter on the naans and garnish with silver varq if you like.
16. Serve hot with any curry of your choice.
Yield: 6-7 naans of medium size
Note: Water for activating the yeast should be luke warm. If it is hot the yeast will be dead.
Watch the video
About the group:
Shhhhh Cooking Secretly is a monthly challenge in a facebook group where we are paired with a different partner every month. Two secret ingredients are chosen by each partner for the other one and we prepare any dish with those ingredients based on the selected theme of the month which was " Flat Breads " It was chosen by Anu Kollon. Check out her recipe of Sindhi Koki
My partner of the month is Radha Rajagopalan who gave me MILK POWDER and SALT as my secret ingredients. I made the Nawabi Naans using them.
I had selected Quinoa and Peanuts as the secret ingredients for her. She made a delicious and healthy Multigrain Veggie Roti with them.