Toor dal ... 1 cup
Mixed vegetables of your choice .. about 1 cup
( I have used carrots, bhindi, green beans )
Tamarind juice ... soak lemon size in water and extract juice.
Tomato ..... 1
Onion ...... few pieces
Green chillies ... 1-2
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder .. 1/4 tsp or more
Jaggery or sugar .. little (optional)
Salt .... to taste
Mustard seeds .. 1 tsp
Cumin seeds ...... 1 tsp
Methi seeds ....... 1 tsp
Asafoetida........ a pinch
Dry red chillies .. 1-2
Curry leaves ... 1 sprig
1. Wash and soak dal for 1-2 hours.
2. Pressure cook dal and set it aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add the tempering ingredients.
4. When they crackle, add the mixed vegetables and tomatoes.
5. Add the salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder. Add a little water and simmer to cook.
6. When the vegetables are almost done, add dal, tamarind juice.and jaggery. Let it boil for a minute.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
If you want to serve with rotis then make the consistency thick. For serving with rice it can be like normal dal./ sambar