For the Sabzi:
Karelas / bitter gourds .... 3-4
Onion ................ 1
Tomato ............ 1
Ginger garlic paste ... 1 tsp each
Green chillies ..... 1-2
Coriander leaves .. handful
Cumin seeds ...... 1 tsp
Asafoetida ....... a pinch
Turmeric powder .... 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder .... 1 tsp
Red chilli powder .... 1/4 tsp
Salt ...... to taste
Oil ..... 2-3 tbsps
1. Was the karelas and peel them. Set aside the peels for making pooris or rotis.
2. Cut them into round pieces and sprinkle some salt. Set aside for 2-3 hours. (you can also put a spoon of yogurt)
3. In a pan put oil and add the cumin seeds and asafoetida. Tip in the chopped onion and saute.
4. After a minuite or two add the chopped tomato, green chillies and the ginger garlic paste.
5. Now add the salt, spice powders and the karelas. Stir to mix and simmer.
6. Sprinkle a little water to cook.Add the coriander leaves.
For the Pooris:
Wheat flour .. 1 cup
Salt to taste
Chop the karela peels finely and stir fry them in a pan adding a little salt and spice powders.
Add this to the wheat flour and knead the dough.I added coriander leaves also for flavour..
Roll our pooris and deep fry them or make rotis.