Mambazha Pulissery is one of the Traditional curries of Kerala prepared for Sadhya (festive recipes). It is sweet, sour and spicy in flavour with coconut based gravy with the addition of yogurt and green chillies.This curry is usually paired with idiyappam but it goes well with plain rice, neer dosas and appams also. Pulissery and Moru Kootan have the similar gravy base.
Mangoes .. 2 (select small variety)
Yogurt ...... 1 cup
Grated coconut .. 1 cup
Green chillies ... 2 (add more if you like it spicy)
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds ..... 1 tsp
Mustard seeds ... 2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds ... 1/2 tsp
Dry red chillies .... 2-3
Curry leaves ..... 1 sprig
Coconut oil .... 2 tbsps (you may use any oil if you don't have coconut oil)
Salt ......... to taste
1. Wash and peel the mangoes.
2. In a chatti or a pan take sufficient water and cook the mangoes adding slit green chillies, turmeric and salt.
3. Meanwhile grind the coconut , yogurt and cumin seeds to a paste.
4. Stir in the ground paste with the mangoes in the pan.
5. Mix carefully and check the salt.
6. When the curry is done remove it from the gas.
7. In a small pan heat the coconut oil or any cooking oil. When it is hot reduce the flame and add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and dry red chillies.
8. Stir in the tadka to the mango curry.