Chettinad Cuisine is one of the most spiciest and aromatic cuisines of India, from the Chettinad region of Tamilnad State.in South India. It is very famous for its Spicy & pungent non vegetarian dishes. These are mostly served with plain rice or doasa, appams, idiappams, adais & idlis. This is a recipe of a spicy dry chicken preparation... goes well with dosas or as a side dish with dal chawal..
Chicken ... 250 gms ( preferably with bones)
Ginger ... 1 inch piece ( grated)
Garlic .... 1 tsp (crushed)
Chettinad masala .. 1 & 1/2 tbsps
Salt ... to taste
Turmeric powder .. 1/2 tsp
Tamarind juice or lemon juice ... 2 tbsps
Oil ... 2 tbsps
Coriander leaves .. for garnishing.
Mustard seeds .. 1 tbsp
Asafoetida ... a pinch
Curry leaves ... 1 sprig
Dry red chillies .. 2-3
Oil .......... 1 tbsp
For Chettinad Masala :
Cumin seeds ... 2 tbsps
Sesame seeds .. 3 tbsps
Poppy seeds.... 2-3 tbsps
Pepper corns ... 1 tbsp
Dry red chillies .. 5-6
Cloves ... 6-8
Cardamoms ... 8
Cinnamon .... 2 pieces
Peanuts ... handful
Dry dessicated coconut .. 3-4 tbsps
Dry roast and grind these ingredients. Store in a sterilized dry bottle. You can use it as and when required.
1. Cut the chicken into small pieces and chicken with bones tastes better in this recipe.
2. Heat 2 tbsps oil in a pan and add the sliced onion. Saute until golden brown in colour.
3. Add ginger, garlic, green chillies and saute for half a minute.
4. Now tip in the chicken pieces and stir fry on a reduced flame until you get a nice colour.
5. Add the turmeric powder and salt to taste. Sprinkle little water and simmer to cook until almost done.
6. Mix one and half tbsps of Chettinad masala with the tamarind juice or lemon juice. Dilute with little water to mix well.
7. In a separate pan, heat one tbsp of oil and add the tempering ingredients.
8. When they crackle, add the Chettinad masala mixed with tanmarind juice or lemon juice that you had kept ready.
9. Stir well and tip in the chicken pieces. Carefully toss them with the masala until well coated and cooked.
10. Garnish with coriander leaves.