1 cup Soya Chunks
1 Medium sized onion
1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
3 - 4 Curry Leaves
1 small Tomato
1 green chilly
1/4 Tbsp Turmeric
3/4 - 1 Tbsp Chilly Powder
1 cup Thin Coconut Milk
1/4 cup Thick Coconut Milk
Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
( I have used the ready coconut milk bought from the store )
1/2 - 3/4 cup Grated Coconut
1 Tbsp Fennel Seeds
0.5 Tbsp Coriander Seeds
1 small Cinnamon Stick
1 Green Cardamom
3 Dry Red Chillies
1 Tbsp Oil
1 Tbsp Mustard Seeds
1. Dry Roast Coriander seeds, fennel seeds, Cardamom, Cinnamon stick and cloves in a pan for 2 min. Then add grated coconut and roast when the coconut starts turning light brown.
2.Grind the roasted coconut mixture into a smooth paste adding little water.
3. Cut onion into small thin slices. Chop green chilly and tomato as well.
4. Boil the soya chunks with a little salt. When they are done, drain them. Squeeze out the water completely.
5. Heat oil in a pan. When the oil becomes hot, add mustard seeds. Let it crackle. Then add the thinly sliced onions. Fry for 2 minutes and then add curry leaves and green chilly
6. Once the onions turn light brown in color, add the ginger garlic paste. Mix and stir for 2 min.
7. Now add the tomato and cook it till it becomes mushy. Add salt and mix well.
8. Add Turmeric and Chilly Powder. Mix well for a minute. Then add the ground coconut paste. Cover and cook for 3 - 5 min.
9. Add the Soya Chunks and about one cup water and let it cook covered for 3 min. ( the quantity of water depends on how much gravy yo like )
10. Finally stir in 2 -3 tbsps of coconut milk. Bring to a boil and garnish with coriander leaves. After one or two boils switch off the gas.
Note: If you are using the freshly extracted coconut milk, cook with the thin milk first instead of water. Then add the second extract which is thick coconut milk in the end.
Potluck Party @ Jagruti"s Cooking Odyssey