This is one of the traditional dal made in all Sindhi homes. Three kinds of dals are mixed together and cooked to a semi-thick consistency. (Chana dal, dhuli urad dal and the split green moong dal )
Chana dal .... 1/2 cup
Urad dal ..... 1/4 cup
Split green moong dal .. handful
(altogether you can take 1 cup of mixed dals)
Tomato ... 1
Green chillies .... 1-2
Coriander leaves .. handful
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Salt ... to taste
Asafoetida ... a generous pinch
Cumin seeds ... 1 tsp
Garlic ..... 1 tsp
Red chilli powder .. a pinch (add after the oil is cooled)
Oil ... 2 tbsps
1. Wash the three dals and soak them for 2-3 hours.
2. In a pressure cooker pour about two and half to three cups of water. Add the soaked dals and bring to a boil. Remove the white scum/ foam with a spoon.
3. Add the green chillies, tomato, turmeric powder and salt. Close the lid and cook for 4-5 whistles.
4. Open after the steam is let out. Dal should not be mushy and over cooked. Chana dal grains should be visible. So just mix it lightly with the ladle / spoon.
5. Heat a little oil for tempering and add asafoetida and cumin seeds. When they crackle add the crushed garlic and reduce the flame. When it becomes brownish, switch off the gas. Add a pinch of red chilli powder and immediately stir the tempering into the cooked dal. Also add the coriander leaves.
6. Simmer for half a minute to blend the flavours.
This is usually served with rotis.
Note: You can also follow the slow cooking method and just cook in a pan instead of pressure cooker, which is always the best.
Authentic recipe,healthy and yummy mixed dal recipe..love it.ReplyDelete
This is a traditional Sindhi versionDelete
Lipsmacking good dal. Bookmarked it Shobha didi.ReplyDelete
Delicious looking dal. I tasted this at one of my friends place and loved it.ReplyDelete
Nice to know that you liked itDelete
Healthy delicious dal, they taste better when used in combo.ReplyDelete
Yes combo tastes betterDelete
Loving the traditional yummy dal...great with hot rice.ReplyDelete
yummy dal... :) Would love to enjoy with hot plain riceReplyDelete
Wat an authentic dal, can have with puris.ReplyDelete
Yes you can .. thanksDelete
Healthy and delicious dal.. Looks inviting!ReplyDelete
nice and yummy dal...ReplyDelete
New Post at Anu's - Mini Dark Chocolate Cups with Dry Fruits and Nuts
South Indian Cooking
Anu's Healthy Kitchen - "HOW TO's ? of Kitchen" EVENT and SHARE PAGE and a RECIPE (Paneer Celery Burji)
healthy n good combo tvh rotis.ReplyDelete
Yes Usha RaniDelete
oh u used the third one urad dal i had used toor dal the third oneReplyDelete
bhatia community uses teedali dal with toor moong and chana dal
i think u hv seen in my blog too
this urad dal wud give another texture
next time mayb wud try this one
You can use any three dals or even moreDelete
yummy yummy dal Shobha !ReplyDelete
Wow !! Another delicious Sindhi dish !! Nice :)ReplyDelete
Authentic and delicious dal...ReplyDelete
healthy and delicious dal..thanks for linking with us.ReplyDelete
looks delicious and healthy...ReplyDelete