This is a traditional Sindhi bhaji which does not require too many masalas. The key ingredients are garlic and mustard seeds.It is usually made with potatoes, radish, small onions, mehas (tindas) if they are in season, Some people like to add brinjals..Apart from the vegetables varis /vadis or besan gattas can also be added. (Sindhi varis / vadis are sun-dried lentil cakes made with urad dal and not very spicy like Amritsari vadis.) A spoonful of wheat flour is added for thickening the gravy as we don't have any other base for the curry. My grandma used to make this bhaji so well. This is one of dad's favourite and he says that we don't make it as well as she did. Well, our elders really created magical flavours in any food.
Potatoes .... 2-3 (cut into pieces)
Small onions ... 5-6 ( Peel & slit )
Sindhi vadis ... 4-5
Garlic ...... 1 tbsp (crushed)
Green chillies .. 2-3 (finely chopped)
Coriander leaves ... handful
Mustard seeds ... 1 tbsp
Salt ........... to taste
Turmeric powder .. 1/2 tsp
Wheat flour ...... 1 tbsps (for thickening)
Oil .. as needed
1. Peel and cut the potatoes into desired size.
2. peel and slit the onion into four not cutting it trrough the end.
3. In a pressure cooker, pour a little oil and fry the vadis. Add one cup water and pressure cook for 5-6 whistles. The vadis should be three-fourths done as we have to simmer them in the gravy later along with the vegetables.
4. In a pan heat a little oil and add the crushed garlic. saute but do not make it brown.
5. Now tip in the green chillies and potatoes. Stir-fry. Add one cup of water and simmer.
6. Add the salt and turmeric powder. When the potatoes are half cooked add the onions and vadis.
7. Mix the wheat flour in a little water breaking the lumps.Add to the simmering curry.
8. Add the coriander leaves towards the end.
9. Heat a little oil and add the mustard seeds. When they crackle tip them into the curry and stir carefully.
This is usually served with rotis / fulkas
Note: The quantity and thickness of the gravy depends on one's personal choice. Those who like more chillies can increase the quantity. Some like to squeeze a little lime juice.
See the detailed recipe procedure in the video