Ulli Theeyal is a spicy and tangy dish from Kerala. This is made with shallots and sometimes other vegetables are added. The base of the gravy is tamarind cooked with other spices. This can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days. It goes well with plain rice and can be relished with dosas and appams also.
Shallots .... 12-15 (I used 8 small sized onions as I did not get shallots)
Garlic ...... 1 pod (peeled and whole)
Tamarind .... lemon size (soak in water)
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves .. handful
Jaggery .... 1 small piece (1 tsp)
Dessicated coconut ... 3-4 tbsps( dry roast to brown colour)
Dry red chillies ....... 2-3
Cumin seeds ....... 1/2 tsp
Coriander seeds ... 1 tsp
Pepper corns ...... 6-8
Asafoetida .. 1 pinch
Mustard seeds .. 1 tsp
Methi seeds .... 1/2 tso
Dry red chillies .. 2
Curry leaves ... 1 sprig
Oil ...... 3-4 tbsps (preferably coconut oil)
1. In a pan dry roast the red chillies, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and pepper corns till they give out an aroma. Remove and dry roast the coconut separately to a nice brown colour.
2. Grind all this together to a smooth paste.
3. In a pan heat oil and add the tempering ingredients.
4.When they crackle, add the whole garlic cloves and saute.
5. Tip in the shallots and saute for a minute.
6. Add the tamarind water, salt and turmeric powder and simmer until onion is translucent.
7. Now add the ground masala, coriander leaves and jaggery.
8. Simmer until the masala cooks. This cooks very well on very low flame.
Serve with plain rice. This curry stays good for 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
Looks delicious.. I haven't tried yet.. Book marked.. Do visit my space when u find time Sharan's SamayalaraiReplyDelete
Thanks a lotDelete
theeyal looks inviting...perfect with rice...ReplyDelete
Yes dear , love it tooDelete
Both mine and hubby's favorite dish !! Looks Yummy !!ReplyDelete
Nice to know that .. thanksDelete
It defi is yummy and looks good!! havent made it in a long long time!!ReplyDelete
I love it too.. thanksDelete
my fav kerala dishReplyDelete
Thanks Veena .. I love it tooDelete
delicious and inviting...thanks for linking with us.ReplyDelete