Today I have made macaroni with potatoes in the tomato gravy.
Macaroni ... 1 cup ( select the small variety )
Potatoes .... 3-4 ( cut into cubes)
Onion ...... 1 small (finely chopped)
Tomatoes .. 2 large or 3 medium
Ginger ..... 1 tsp (grtaed)
Garlic ..... 1 tsp (optional)
Tomato puree .. 1 tbsp
Tomato ketchup . 1 tsp
Cumin seeds ...... 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder ... 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder .. 1 tsp
Cumin powder ....... 1 tsp
Red chilli powder .... 1/2 tsp
Salt ....... to taste
Oil ....... as needed
Coriander leaves ... handful
1. Boil water in a pan adding salt and a tbsp. of oil. Tip in the macaroni. After 2-3 boils switch off the gas and cover the pan with a lid for 4-5 minutes.
2. The macaroni would be cooked and doubled in size. Drain the water and set it aside. To avoid sticking I add a half a tbsp of oil and stir them carefully.
3. In a pan heat oil and add the cumin seeds. When they crackle, add the onion and saute until translucent.
4. Add the ginger, garlic and tomatoes and simmer until the tomatoes are cooked.
5. Now add the potatoes, tomato puree, ketchup and saute adding all the spice powders mentioned above. Add sufficient water ( depends on how much gravy you want )
6. Add the coriander leaves and Simmer until almost done.
7. In the end tip in the macaroni and stir carefully. Simmer for half a minute on low flame.
Serve with rotis.