Hasselback potatoes are a perfect accompaniment to your grilled meats or fish. Select large potatoes for this. You have to carefully make thin slices upto 3/4 th of the potato. The tip for doing this easily is to place the potato on the chopsticks and this way the knife will not reach the bottom. After slicing immerse them in ice cold water for some time. You will see them opening up like a fan. This makes it easier to spoon in the herbed butter.
Potatoes - 2 large ( or as needed)
Butter ..... 2-3 spoons. (you may use olive oil too)
Oregano .. 1 tbsp (you may use any herbs available, dry or fresh)
Salt .... to taste ( if using salted butter you can skip it)
1. Place the potatoes on the chopsticks and make thin slices upto 3/4 th of it. Immerse them in ice cold water. They will open up like a fan.
2. Melt the butter and mix the herbs and salt. If you are using salted butter you can skip adding or add very little.
3. Spoon the herbed butter in between the slices.
4. Wrap them in a foil paper.
5. Bake them in the oven for 40-45 minutes.
In the final stage you can add some fresh herbs, grated cheese, paprika or black pepper if you like.
Serve them with grilled meats / fish.
For the Chicken Roast :
Chicken ..... 2 leg & thigh pieces
Garlic ...... 1 tsp (crushed)
Lemon juice .. 1-2 tbsps
salt ............ to taste
Red chilli powder .. 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder .. 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder .. 1/2 tsp
Oil ............. 1 tbsp
1. Clean the chicken and make light cuts on the surface.
2. Mix all the marination ingredients and rub on the chicken. Leave it for a few hours.
3. Place it on a greased tray and bake in a pre-heated oven turning the side once in between.
It takes 40 - 45 minutes.The time may vary a bit depending on the size and type of oven.