This pulao is so easy to make and cooked very fast in a pressure cooker we named it jhatpat pulao.. I remember when we used to go for movies this was the dish that my mom used to make when we came back. Those days eating out was not common. We would keep all the ingredients ready before we went. You can choose ant vegetables that you prefer.
Rice ..... 2 cups
Mixed vegetables ... 1 cup ( I have used carrot, beans,broccoli, potato and green peas)
Tomato ...... 1 optional
Garlic ....... 1 tbsp (crushed)
Ginger ...... 1 tsp (grated)
Green chillies .. 2-3 (slit)
Mint leaves ... few
Turmeric powder ... 1/4 tsp
Garam masala or Biriyani masala ... 1 tsp
Red chilli powder .... 1/4 tsp or as you like it
Salt ...... to taste
Oil ..... 3-4 tbsps
Cardamoms ... 2-3
Bay leaf ....... 2
Cloves ... 4-5
Cinammon stick ... 1 piece
Shah Jeera / cummel seeds .. 1/2 tsp
1. In a pressure cooker heat the oil and add the tempering ingredients (whole spices mentioned in the list)
2. Then add the garlic, ginger, green chillies, mint leaves and saute.
3. Tip in the cubed vegetables and tomato. (peel the skin to make a rose for garnishing)
4. Add salt and spice powders. Sprinkle a little water and close the cooker for 1 whistle. The vegetables have to be half-cooked)
5. Now add the washed and soaked rice and 4 cups of water. If you see a little gravy in the cooker then add only 3 and 1/2 cups. Check the salt and add if needed.
6. Close the cooker for 2 whistles and half a minute on sim after that.
7. Let the steam remain insiide. Open it after 5-7 minutes and the pulao is ready to be served.