This is a side dish from South Indian Cuisine. Simple and healthy preparation. There is very little oil used only for tempering.
Beans .. 200 gms.
Chana dal ... 1/4 cup
Baking powder .. a pinch
Cumin seeds ... 1
Dry red chillies .. 1
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Salt .. to taste
Mustard seeds ... 1 tsp
Dry red chillies ... 1
Curry leaves .. few
Asafoetida .... a pinch
Oil .......... 1 tbsp
1. Wash the beans and cut them into small pieces. Boil them adding salt. Drain and set aside.
2. Soak the chana dal for 2-3 hours.
3. Grind the chana dal coarsely adding salt, cumin seeds, dry red chilli.
4. Steam this batter using idli cooker or in a microwave for 5 minutes.(place the smaller dish containing ground urad dal in a bigger dish with water )
5. Remove and let it cool. Crumble it with hand or using the grater.
6. Heat oil in a pan and add the tempering ingredients.
7. When they crackle, add the crumbled dal and beans.
8. Add the turmeric powder, a little salt if needed (you already have added salt in the beans and chana dal)
9. Toss everything together.