Recipe idea is from Jagruti's Cooking Odyssey. She made with moong dal. I have tried it out with chana dal and few of the ingredients are different because I don't get raw mangoes and sev here. You can go ahead and add anything of your liking. Variations are endless.
Chana dal .... 3/4 th cup
Onion ....... 1/4 cup
Tomato ... 1 small
Cucumber .. Half
Carrot ...... a small piece
Coriander leaves .. handful
Lettuce ....... 1/2 cup
Roasted and crushed cumin seeds ... 1 tsp ( you may use chaat masala instead )
Salt .... to taste
Black pepper ... 1/4 tsp
Red chilli flakes .. as pre your liking ( optional )
Lemon juice ... 2 tbsps
Olive oil ... 1 tbsp
1. Soak chana dal for 5-6 hours or overnight. Boil adding salt until done but not mushy. The grains should remain separate.
2. Cut the onion and cucumber and carrot finely.
3. Remove the seeds and juice from the tomato and cut it into pieces.
4. Break the lettuce into small pieces with your hand.. (never use a knife to cut the lettuce)
5. In a big bowl mix all the ingredients together.
This can be served chilled or at room temperature.
Tip: you may add sweet chutney, mint chutney and sev or boondi for a change.