Mutton .... 250 gms ( preferably with bones)
Chana dal .. 1/2 cup
Toor dal ... 1/4 cup
Onions ... 2 sliced
Tomato ... 1
Ginger ... 1 tbsp (grated)
Garlic .... 1 tbsp (crushed )
Yogurt .... 2-3 tbsps
Green chillies ... 2
Turmeric powder .. 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder .. 1 tsp
Red chilli powder .. 1 tsp
Kokums ... 3-4 ( you can also use 1 tbsp tamarind pulp instead)
Dry red chillies .. 3-4
Garam masala powder .. 1 tsp
Curry leaves ... 1 sprig
Mustard seeds ... 1 tsp
Cumin seeds .... 1 tsp
Oil .. 2-3 tbsps
Desi ghee .... 1 tbsp (for tadka)
1. Wash the mutton and marinate with yogurt, salt and turmeric.
2. Soak the chana dal and toor dal.
3. In a pan heat the oil and fry the onion until golden brown.
4. Add the tomato, green chillies, ginger, garlic (leave a little for tempering).
5. Now tip in the marinated mutton and saute it until the water dries up and the colour changes. Add all the mentioned spice powders during this process.
6. Add sufficient water and simmer to cook. ( you can pressure cook it if you want ). Set aside.
7. Boil dals adding a little salt and turmeric powder until done. Set aside.
8. Mix the cooked dal to the meat and add the required quantity of water and bring to a boil. Add the kokums now. Let it simmer.
9. In a pan heat the desi ghee and add the tempering ingredients.First add the mustard and cumin seeds followed by the dry red chillies and curry leaves. When they crackle, add the crushed garlic and saute until it becomes light brown. Switch off the gas and when it becomes little cold add a pinch of red chilli powder to give a nice colour. Stir in the tadka to the prepared dalcha.
I have served it with plain onion pulao.
1. Heat oil in a pan and add the whole spices.
2. Add onion and fry until golden brown.
3. Then add the ginger garlic paste, tomato, green chillies. Cook for one minute.
4. Add double quantity of water.. If rice is one cup then 2 cups of water. Add a little turmeric, red chili powder and salt. when it starts to boil tip in the soaked rice. Cook until the rice is done.
Pin for later
You may also like:
Mutton Rogan Josh