Arborio rice ... 1 cup
Mushrooms .. 1/2 cup (sliced) I have used shitake.
Spinach ........ few leaves
Basil ............ few leaves
Garlic .......... 1 tbsp
Cheese ........ 2 tbsps. (grated)
Olive oil ..... 6 tbsps.
Salt ............ to taste
White wine ... 1/2 cup ( you can skip if you don't like it .. replace with water)
Vegetable stock .... 4-5 cups ( you can use chicken stock also)
I made the vegetable stock by boiling one cup of vegetables and one small onion.. use any available at home. Boil them with the required quantity of water adding salt and a piece of cinnamon or star anise. Drain and use the stock. Do not throw away the vegetables. knead them with the flour and make rotis.
1. Heat a little oil in a pan and stir-fry the sliced mushrooms. Add spinach and Basil leaves and a little salt. Stir and remove from the pan.
2. Heat about 2-3 tbsps of oil and add the garlic. Stir fry a little and add the rice ( straight from the pack as this is not washed and soaked like in Indian recipes)
3. Fry the rice with garlic for half a minute and add the wine. ( if you are not using wine then add the stock ) Stir and cook until it is absorbed into the rice.
4. Keep adding a ladle-ful of stock and stirring until the rice is cooked to a soft consistency. For one cup of rice I used almost 3 and 1/2 cups of stock.
5. At this point mix the mushrooms which were fried with spinach and basil.Also add the cheese and a spoonful of olive oil.