Mutton .. 1/2 kg
Mustard oil ... 1/4 cup
Onions ... 2 (grated)
Red chilli paste -- 2 tbsps ( make by soaking and grinding the red chillies )
Yogurt ... 1 cup
Ginger .... 1 tbsp (grated)
Garlic ... 1 tbsp (crushed)
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder .. 1/2 tsp ( add only if you like it spicy )
Coriander / cumin powder .. 1/2 tsp each
Bay leaves .. 2
Cinnamon stick .. 1 inch piece
Black cardamom .. 1-2
Green cardamom ... 3-4
Salt ... to taste
1. Marinate the mutton with 2 tbsps yogurt (save remaining for adding later), salt, turmeric powder.
2. Heat mustard oil. Bring it to a smoking point and reduce the flame.
3. Tip in the whole spices mentioned in the list.
4. Now add the ginger, garlic and saute.
5. Add the grated onion and stir fry until it changes colour and oil is separated.
6. Now add the marinated meat, salt, coriander cumin powders and saute until the water dries up.
7. Now add the remaining yogurt and stir it to avoid curdling.
8. Add 2 cups of water and simmer to cook. Add more water if needed. It depends on the meat. If it is tender it cooks easily. If it is not tender you can use the pressure cooker.
Note: Keep the spice level according to your taste. If you want you may discard the whole spices before serving. You can even give a smoky flavour to the curry using charcoal and ghee method to get a rustic and authentic taste.