This is a barfi made with milk powder. You can make variations to the basic recipe by adding crushed dry fruits, fruit pulps, chocolate powder or any flavours of your choice..Today I have used the flag colours as it is for the Independence day menu.
Milk powder - 6 cups (Nido / Amulya)
Sugar ........ 2 cups
Water ....... 4 cups
Cardamom powder .. 1 tsp
Saffron ...... 2-3 pinches
Orange and green food colours.
Desi ghee ... 3-4 tbsps
1. Boil the sugar and water to make a syrup until it becomes a little thicker consistency. ( about 5 minutes) Let it cool.
2. Stir in the milk powder and whisk it to mix properly without lumps.
3. Place the pan on the gas and start cooking on medium flame stirring continuously. During the process add the cardamom powder.
4. While stirring add a spoonful of ghee after a gap of few minutes. Reduce the flame to low. Continue to stir until the mixture starts leaving sides.
5. Divide this into 3 equal portions. Leave one plain.
6. Now for the orange coloured layer take one portion . Put it back in the pan and add few drops of orange colour and saffron ( oaked in a tbsp of milk ) Continue to stir until it is mixed well.
7. Spread it into a greased thali / plate and spread with the back of the spoon. Let it set a bit.
8. Now spread the white layer in the same way and allow it to set.
9. For the green layer take the third portion and add a few drops of green food colour. Stir well until well mixed. Spread it on the white layer evenly. Let it set.
10. When it is set and cooled down you can cut it in the desired shape. You can garnish with silver warq also.