Kheer with a combination of sevaiyyan (thin vermicelli) and sabudana (sago or tapioca pearls ). I have made this kheer with milk powder but you can use the normal full cream milk too.
Milk powder .. 1 cup
Water ..... 4 cups
Sabudana .. handful (soaked)
Thin vermicelli .. 3/4 cup
Sugar ... 1/2 cup or little more (as per your liking )
Salt .. a pinch
Cardamom powder .. 1/4 tsp
Chopped nuts ( unsalted pistachios and almonds)
Ghee .. 1 tbsp
1. Mix the milk powder and water. Bring it to boil and simmer.Keep stirring it until it reduces.
2. Break the vermicelli and lightly fry it with a spoonful of ghee.
3. Add the saffron and cardamom powder to the milk and tip in the soaked sabudana first.
4. Stir it and cook until the sabudana is done.
5. Now add the sugar and a pinch of salt and stir to mix.
6. Finally add the vermicelli and cook for one or two boils. Since the vermicelli is fine it gets cooked fast. If you are using the thicker variety cook a little more.
7. Garnish with chopped nuts before serving.
You can serve it warm or chilled. You can also add some chopped nuts while cooking if you prefer.