This is the Sindhi style Black Eyed Bean Curry made in caramelized onion gravy. In Sindhi we call it Chaunran ji Bhaji. It is usually served with phulkas/ rotis.
Black eye beans - 1 cup or as needed
Onions .............. 1 cup (sliced)
Tomatoes ........... 1 large or 2 small
Green chillies ... 1 or 2
Ginger paste ..... 1 tsp
Garlic paste ....... 1 tbsp
Cumin powder ... 1 tsp
Coriander powder .. 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder ... 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder ... 1/2 tsp (or as you like it)
Coriander leaves .... handful
Salt .................. to taste
Oil .................... 2 + 2 tbsps
1. Soak the beans for few hours.
2. Boil them adding little salt. Drain and set the water aside for gravy.
3. Heat 2 tbsps oil and fry the onions until brown in colour.
4. Add chopped tomato, green chillies, ginger and garlic paste. Saute a bit and add 1 cup water.
5. Simmer to cook. Allow it to cool. Mash it to a paste.
6. Now in a different pan add 2 tbsps oil . On low heat add the spice powders taking care not to burn them.
7. Stir in the onion paste and the boiled beans.
8. Add salt and the water left over from boiling the beans. Check the quantity as per your preference of the gravy. (thick or thin)
9. Simmer for couple of minutes and add the coriander leaves.
I make this same way, didn't know it was sindhi style. Looks perfect to dip the roti in it.ReplyDelete
Thanks Linsy. We serve it with roti too.Delete
This is one of my families favourite dishes . We love the thick gravy and enjoy it with boiled rice and chappatis. Very tasty recipe.ReplyDelete
Same here. We love it too.ThanksDelete
black eyed peas are my favorite as they are so sweet and tender. This curry is so good. Thanks for a new way to make my favorite beansReplyDelete
Thanks Mireille . Make and enjoyDelete
Black Eye Bean Curry had been my favorite, but haven't made it for quite some time. It goes so well with rice or roti. Upon reading this post, I am inspired to make make it soon. Nice post.ReplyDelete
Thanks dear. It is one of our favourites too.Delete
With caramelized onion, this black eyes beans curry must be so flavourful. On the menu this week is black eye beans curry. Will caramelize the onions.ReplyDelete
Thanks Mayuri. You are going to love it for sure.Delete
What a lovely colour of this curry. Black eyed bean curry is a favourite of ours. I like your Sindhi style recipe where you have used fresh tomatoes and onions to make a paste. It's a very easy to follow recipe which I am looking forward to trying soon.ReplyDelete
Glad to know that you liked this Sindhi preparation of Black eyed beans. I am sure you will love the curry when you make it. Do share the feed back.Delete
Ahhh! whata. delicious and flavourful black eye beans sabji. I absolutely love the flavours here. Next time will caramelize the onions.ReplyDelete
Thanks Archana. This gravy made with caramelized onions is a traditional one from our cuisine.Delete
I love black eyed beans/peas, as they cook quicker than other beans. Love the fresh flavors in this recipe.ReplyDelete
These are my favourite too. Thanks for liking the Sindhi style curry made with them.Delete
such comforting gravies with hot phulkas is so good esp for quick weeknight dinnersReplyDelete
True dear. Nice and comforting meal.Delete