A delicious recipe of spaghetti with home made pesto sauce that can me made in minutes. Basil walnut pesto is my favourite among the Italian sauces. It is rich but healthy as it has good fats from walnuts and olive oil. I have used whole wheat spaghetti which is a healthier option. Take care not to overcook the spaghetti. Toss it plain in the sauce or add any vegetables or meats if you like. My personal preference is shitake mushrooms. I have fallen in love with this variety of mushrooms, they are nice and fleshy. Also added a few cherry tomatoes to get a lovely look to the platter.
Spaghetti .... 150 gms ( I used whole wheat spaghetti)
Pesto sauce .. 1/4 cup
Cherry tomatoes .. few
Shitake mushrooms .. 2 large (cut into long strips and saute)
Garlic ..... 1 clove (crushed)
Basil leaves ... few
Parmesan cheese ... 1 tbsp
Olive oil .... 2 tbsps.
Salt .... to taste
For Pesto Sauce:
Basil leaves ... 1 cup
Olive oil ....... 3-4 tbsps
Garlic ........... 2 cloves
Parmesan cheese .. 2 tbsps (grated)
Walnuts .......... handful
Lemon juice or vinegar ... 1 tsp
Salt ............. to taste
Blend all the ingredients together. Use as required. You can even freeze it for future use.
1. Boil the spaghetti in a large pan adding salt and a little oil to the water.
2. Take care not to make it mushy. It has to be al dente. Strain it and run under cold water.
3. In a wok heat the olive oil and saute the crushed garlic.
4. Add the pesto sauce and stir for a minute or two.
5. Add the spaghetti, cherry tomatoes, sauteed shiitake mushrooms, few basil leaves and cheese.
6. Stir carefully until the spaghetti is coated well with the sauce.
Serve immediately. You can add extra cheese on top if desired.