Fish head .. 1 -2 ( cut into big pieces
Ginger ... 1 tbsp (grated)
Garlic .... 1 tbsp (crushed)
Curry leaves ... 1 sprig
Kodam puli ... 3-4 pcs (soaked)
Red chilli powder .. 2-3 tbsps ( add as per your spice level )
Coriander powder ... 1 tbsp
Garam masala powder .. 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder ..1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds .. 1 tbsp
Methi / fenugreek seeds .. 1/2 tsp
Coconut oil or vegetable oil ...4-5 tbsps
1. Clean the fish head and marinate with salt and turmeric.
2. Heat oil in the chatti or a saucepan and add the tempering ingredients (mustard and methi seeds)
3. When they crackle, tip in the ginger and garlic and saute.
4. In a bowl take some water and add the spice powders and mix well.
5. After sauteing the ginger garlic add the water with spices and bring to a boil.
6. Next add the marinated fish head pieces.
7. Put the soaked kodampuli pieces, curry leaves and salt.
8. Add enough water and simmer to cook until the fish is done. (about 2 cups)
Note: If you don't have kodampuli, you can use tamarind pulp/ kokum If you are
cooking in a chatti make sure to switch off the gas when the fish is almost done. Amazingly it keeps simmering for a long time after that also.
Pin for later
You may also like: