This zucchini preparation is definitely a party dish.. You can serve it with or without the gravy. The dry version can go well with rotis / phulkas..whereas the curry can be served with rice / pulaos
Zucchinis .. 3 (or as needed) - select slightly curved ones.
Onion ... 1 small (finely chopped)
Green chillies ... 1-2
Kasoori methi .. 1 tbsp
Coriander powder .. 1 tsp
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder .. 1/2 tsp
Tomato puree .. 4 tbsps
Thick coconut milk ... 2 tbsps
Cumin seeds .. 1 tsp
Garlic paste .. 1 tsp
Salt ... to tatse
Oil ... 3 tbsps
Coriander leaves .. to garnish
Red pepper strips .. for garnishing (to make oars)
1. Wash the zucchinis well and wipe with a kitchen towel.
2. Cut a long and curved strip on top of each zucchini.
3. Scoop out the inside portion with the help of a knife. Do not throw this. Chop it very finely and keep it aside for the filling.
4. Now mix together the finely chopped onion, scooped out zucchini portion (chopped very finely), kasoori methi, green chillies, salt and the spice powders.
5. Fill the zucchini boats with this mix. Use as much is required and save the rest to add in the gravy.
6. Place them in a greased baking tray and bake in the oven until the zucchini is done. It takes about 40-45 minutes. Towards the end use the top grill for 5-7 minutes until the colour is brown. ( now this can be served as a side dish with rotis )
For the gravy:
1. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds.
2. When they crackle, add the garlic paste and saute.
3. Now add the left over chopped vegetable filling and stir fry.
4. Add the tomato puree, little salt and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil.
5. Finally add the coconut milk and stir to mix.
6. Pour the gravy in a shallow serving dish and place the grilled zucchini boats.
7. Garnish and serve.
Note: If you like to peel the skin of zucchini you can do so.. The baking time will be less.