Baby potatoes .. 1 kg
Kashmiri red chillies ... 6-8 (soak in warm water and grind them to a paste)
Yogurt ..... 2 cups
Clove powder .. 1/4 tsp
Aniseed / saunf powder .... 2 tsps
Dry ginger powder / saunth .. 1 tsp
Green cardamom powder .. 1/2 tsp
Roasted cumin powder ..... 1 tsp
Red chilli powder .. 1/4 tsp or more if you like it spicy
Asafoetida .. a generous pinch
Salt .. to taste
Oil ... as needed to fry and cook. (use mustard oil or desi ghee )
1. Boil the potatoes until half done. Cool and peel them.
2. Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the potatoes until golden brown. If you are using a little bigger sized potatoes, prick them with a fork.
3. Mix the ground chilli paste , spice powders ( except asafoetida) and salt with the yogurt.
4. Heat a little oil in a pan and add asafoetida. When you get the aroma, add a cup of water, little salt and bring to a boil. Stir in the yogurt with spices and mix well.
5. Tip in the fried potatoes and simmer to cook until done.