This is a most popular snack of the Chinese cuisine liked by one and all. The crispy deep fried rolls filled with veg or non veg filling are always a big hit in parties. Here in this recipe I have shown step by step instructions with pictures how to make the wraps at home. You can try out variations with the fillings as you desire. I have made the simple filling with assorted vegetables which is the most preferred one. You can add a little shredded chicken or scrambled eggs to this if you like.
FOR THE FILLING:
Cabbage grated coarsely or finely shredded......2 cups
Carrots cut into thin strips .....2
French Beans finely sliced ......1/2 cup
Capsicum ... 1 thinly sliced
Mushrooms ....... 5-6 finely sliced
Garlic ginger paste .... 1 tbsp.
Soya Sauce....2 to 3 tsp
Salt to taste
FOR THE DOUGH:
Maida/All Purpose Flour.....2 cups
PREPARING THE MAIDA PASTE 1 : (For applying on the wraps)
Make a paste of 2 tbsp maida with 2 tbsp oil.
PREPARING THE MAIDA PASTE 2 : (For sealing the rolls)
Mix 2 tbsp maida with about 1/2 cup water and then heat it, stirring continuously, till it thickens to a paste.
PREPARING THE FILLING:
Heat 1 tbsp oil. Add the garlic ginger paste. Stir fry and add the vegetables, salt, ajinomoto, soya sauce. Stir fry for 5 to 7 minutes until the water from the vegetables is dried up. ( If there is excess water you can drain it out)
Preparing the wraps
1. Using maida, salt and cornflour, make a soft dough with the help of water.
2. Make very small balls out of the dough.
3. Take 4 balls. Now, roll each ball into small pancakes as shown in the picture.
4. Take a pancake, first apply the "Maida Paste 1" generously all over the pancake and then sprinkle maida on it as shown in the picture.
5. Now place another pancake on top of it and repeat the procedure, thus making a stack of 4 pancakes one over the other, with "maida paste 1" and maida in between each.
NOTE: Don't apply anything over the top most pancake.
6. Now, roll this into a big, very thin chapati, changing sides as you roll.
7. Heat it on a tawa on low flame till it is slightly cooked on both the sides. Remove it from the tawa and then separate the 4 chapatis and store them in a wet cloth.
PREPARING THE SPRING ROLLS:
1.Take a chapati. Apply the "Maida Paste 2" around the edges of the chapati. Now, place the filling as shown in the picture, turn the sides, then apply paste again on the turned flaps. Now, roll it into the shape of a spring roll. Make sure that the edge sticks to the roll well.
2.Make the rest of the spring rolls in the same way.
3.Heat oil and deep fry till they turn golden brown. Serve hot with chilli sauce.
NOTE: The spring rolls can be stored in polythene bags in the freezer and you can fry them whenever necessary.