Maida/white flour ........... 2 cups
Fresh yeast ... 1 cube (1 tablespoon)
Salt ............ 1 tsp.
Sugar ......... 2 tsp.
Ghee/butter .......... 1 tsp.
Luke warm water for kneading. You may also use milk and water together.
1. Take the flour, make a well in the middle. Put only the sugar and crumble the yeast on top of the sugar.
2. Sprinkle the salt on the side (there should be no contact between the yeast and the salt)
3. Knead the dough using the luke warm water.Add the ghee and knead it well for 2-3 minutes.
4. Cover it and leave it in a warm place till it is risen to double.
(about 15-20 mins. in summer....in winter it takes a little longer)
5. Now knead this dough again for a few minutes.
6. Cut out small portions and make rolls of any shape you like... round, spiral, knotted, plaited...brush them with egg white or milk)
7. Place them on a greased baking tray and cover them with a plastic sheet or place them in the oven to rise. If using plastic sheet take care that there is enough gap and it should not touch the rolls.
8. When they are double in size bake them in a pre-heated oven.It takes about 12- 15 minutes.( it may vary a bit here and there depending on the type and size of the oven)
9. Brush them with melted ghee after baking for extra softness.
Note : If you are using dry yeast then take a small bowl with luke warm water. add the sugar and sprinkle the yeast on top without mixing. Place it in a warm oven until it becomes frothy. If it does not then do not use it ..which means either the yeast is dead. Remember that the water should be tepid (not hot)