Quinoa - pronounced ( kin-wa) is considered to be highly nutritious compared to the common cereals. The grains resemble millet and can be cooked the same way as rice. Quinoa can be used in wide range of dishes. Lot of people have started using it as a substitute for rice.
Quinoa ... 1 cup
Onion...... 1 small ( sliced)
Tomato ... 1 small (diced)
Carrot .... half (cut into small pieces)
String Beans .... 5-6 ( cut into small pieces)
Green peas ... handful
Green chillies ... 1-2
Ginger ......... 1/2 tsp
Garlic........... 1 tsp
Cinnamon .... a small piece
Cloves ......... 2-3
Green cardamoms ... 2
Bay leaf .... 1
Cumin powder .... 1 tsp
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Salt ........ to taste
Mint leaves ... a few
Coriander leaves ... handful
1. Wash the quinoa and soak for at least 1 hour. Boil it adding a little salt and drain. ( it takes around 20 minutes )
2. Heat oil in a pan and add cinnamon, cloves and cardamoms.
3. Now add the sliced onion and saute it for a minute. Add the ginger-garlic paste and the chopped vegetables along with the tomatoes and green chillies.
4. Add the turmeric and cumin powder and salt. Simmer it for a few minutes, sprinkling little water for the vegetables to be cooked. Put the chopped mint and coriander leaves. ( you can also use methi leaves, spinach leaves)
5. Tip in the cooked and drained quinoa and stir well.
Serve hot with any side dish or raita. I have served it with sukhe aloo.