My dish for today's potluck event hosted by Jagruti. every month @ Jagruti's Cooking Odyssey.
This is a Sindhi recipe and we call it Sao Pulao / Saawa Chanwara ( Yellow Pulao / Yellow Rice)
Every home it is made with a slight variation. I have made it the way my grandma used to make it with chana dal. Some don't add chana dal, while some like to add tomato. This is usually served with Sai Bhaji ( Sindhi Palak ).
Here goes the recipe...
Basmati rice .... 1 cup
Chana dal ...... 1/4 cup
Methi leaves ... 1 small bunch ( 1/4 cup )
Green chillies ..... 2-3 (slit)
Garlic ........... 1 tsp (crushed)
Ginger ....... 1 tsp (grated)
Cinnamon ... 1 piece
Cloves ........ 3-4
Black cardamom .... 1 (optional)
Green cardamoms ... 3-4
Bay leaf ..... 2-3
Kummel / Caraway seeds .. 1 tsp ( you can also use shahjeera )
Turmeric powder ..... 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder .... 1/2 tsp
Salt ..... to taste
Oil .... as needed
1. Soak chana dal for 3-4 hours. Put it in a pan with water and a little salt and half boil it. ( it will be cooked with rice again later>)
2. Wash and soak the rice.
3. In a pan heat a little oil and add the cardamoms, clove, bay leaf and cinnamon.
4. When they give out an aroma, add the garlic, ginger, green chillies and saute. Tip in the methi leaves.
5. Add the rice and temper with salt, and coriander powder.
6. Add 2 cups of water and when it starts boiling add the half-boiled chana dal.
7. After it starts boiling reduce the flame and cook until done.
8. Now sprinkle the kummel seeds on the rice.Heat a little oil in a frying pan and pour it on the kummel seeds.( or shahjeera)
9. Stir it very carefully and place the pan on a hot griddle for dum.
Tip: I use a chop stick to stir the rice carefully in order not to break the grains and avoid making it mushy.
Potluck Event @ Jagruti's Cooking Odyssey