Whole wheat flour ..... 1 cup
White flour/ maida .... 1 cup
Yeast ................. 1 tablet of 15 gms (I used fresh yeast..you may use dry yeast if you want to)
Sugar ............. 1 tsp
Salt ................ 1 tsp
Oil/ghee ................. 1 tbsp
Warm water or milk to knead ( you can use both, half and half)
How to make the dough.
Mix the 2 flours together. Make a hole in the center and crumble the fresh yeast. Put sugar on top of the yeast. Sprinkle salt on the sides. There should be no contact between the salt and the yeast for better results. Now knead the dough using warm water/milk/both mixed. Add oil and knead it well. Leave the dough covered in a warm place to rise until double.In summer it rises easily. In winters I heat the oven a bit and keep it inside for rising.
For the Masala:
Fresh coriander .... 1/2 cup
Mint leaves .......... handful
Spring onion ....... 1/4 cup
Green chillies ...... 2-3
Grated ginger ..... 1 tbsp
Garlic crushed ... 1 tbsp
All the vegetables should be chopped very finely and make upto 1 cup.
Mix them and set aside until the flour rises. Squeeze out the water completely before using them. ( You can add this flavourful water to your sabzi or dal.)
1. When the dough rises to double, take it out.
2. Spread it or roll it on the kitchen platform and spread the masala.
3. Fold it into the shape of a bread loaf or the shape of the tin that you are using.
4. Grease the tin and put the masala stuffed dough and keep it covered in a warm place to rise to double again.
5. Brush it with egg white (vegetarians can use milk for brushing).
6. Bake it in the pre-heated oven for about 20 -25 minutes.
PS: the baking time varies a bit always depending on the kind of oven...sp please check it out.
Enjoy a slice of spicy bread with your hot cuppa !