Chicken ... 300 gms
Onion .... 1
Yogurt .. 1/2 cup
Ginger paste .. 1 tsp
Garlic paste .... 1 tsp
Green chilli paste .. 1 tbsp
Garam masala powder .. 1/2 tsp
Nutmeg powder ... 1-2 pinches
Cinnamon stick ... 2-3 small pieces
Bay leaves ........ 1-2
Whole black cardamom ... 1
Green cardamoms ........... 3-4
Cloves .................. 3-4
Almonds ... 4-5
Cashew nuts .. 4-5
Poppy seeds .. 1/2 tsp
Salt ........ to taste
Ghee ..... 3-4 tbsps (can use oil instead or half and half)
1. Clean the chicken pieces. Marinate them with yogurt, green chilli paste, ginger-garlic paste, nutmeg powder and a little salt. Set aside for few hours.
2. Cut the onion into chunks, boil it with a cup of water for a few minutes. Grind it to a paste and set aside.
3. Blanch the almonds and peel them. Grind them with soaked cashews and poppy seeds to make a smooth paste. (If you soak them for 1 hour or more they grind easily.)
4. Now heat ghee in a pan and tip in the whole spices. Split the cardamoms slightly before adding.
5. When they give out aroma, remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and fry them on both sides until the colour changes.
6. Remove the chicken pieces and set aside. Now add the ground onion paste and saute for a minute.
7. Add the ground paste and salt. Put back the chicken pieces and simmer. Add about one cup water and simmer to cook.
8. When it is almost done sprinkle the garam masala and stir.
You can garnish with some chopped nuts if you want.
Serve with roti / naan/ paratha / rice / pulao