Butter Chicken or Murgh Makhni as it is popularly known is a mildly spiced curry of the Punjabi Cuisine. It has gained popularity not only in India but all over the world. Cubes of grilled boneless chicken are cooked in the creamy tomato and onion gravy. Cashewnut paste and cream are added for the richness. It is usually served with naans and rotis.
Boneless chicken ..... 1/2 Kg.
Onions ........ 2 small
Tomato puree ......... 1 cup.
Cream....................... 1/4 cup
Butter or ghee ........ 1/4 cup (you can use half oil + half butter too)
Cashewnut powder ... 1/4 cup
Tomato ketchup......... 1-2 tbsp.
Tandoori masala powder.......2 tbsp.
Ginger garlic paste.............. 1 tbsp.
Red colour ......................... a pinch
Salt ....to taste
Red chilli powder ............. 2 tsp.
Garam Masala ..............1 tsp.
Lime juice or vinegar ...... 2 tbsp.
Kasoori methi ...............1 tbsp (roast in a pan or microwave without oil and crush it)
1. Marinate the chicken with ginger garlic paste, lime juice, tandoori masala, salt, red colour and one tsp.red chilli powder atleast for 5-6 hours.
2. Fry the onions to light colour.
3. Cook with a little water and blend into a paste.
4. Roast the chicken pieces in an oven like tikka. Alternately you may also cook it in a pan till done.
5. In a separate pan heat the butter and add the cashew powder. Saute for a minute and add the onion paste, tomato puree, tomato ketchup, salt, red chilli powder, garam masala and a pinch of red colour. Simmer for 4-5 minutes.
6. Now add the prepared chicken tikka and stir in the cream and simmer for one minute.
7. Garnish with dry kasoori methi powder and a little cream.
This dish goes well with nans and rumali rotis.
I love this butter chicken.ReplyDelete
One of my favourite dishes
Hello there! Welcome back to my blog. Butter Chicken would certainly go well with your Bengali Paratha. Wouldn't it?
Thanks for this yummy recipe. I made it & it just tasted superb. My hubby thought that it was from the restaurant...Cheers!ReplyDelete
Wow Jane, that's wonderful. I am glad you all loved it.Delete
Now I can tell my students how to make Butter chicken which is Britian's favourite curry. Even the Instant Pot users all say how nice this curry turns out when cooked in the Instant pot.ReplyDelete
Yes dear.. they will love to know how to make.. and my version is simpler. They can easily make it without any hassle.Delete
Roasting chicken pieces like tikka is a new variation i found in your post.. Sounds good and this is one of the best curry to serve with Roti's or with Parathas's..ReplyDelete
Thanks Sujitha.. they use tandoori chicken pieces in the restaurant also to make butter chicken.Delete
I love this gravy! Your version sounds so easy and delicious. Yummy share!ReplyDelete
Thanks for liking it Priya.Delete