Home made tandoori rotis using whole wheat flour... they taste equally good like the restaurant ones even without being made in a tandoor. Eating out in a restaurant always is not healthy. So why not make and enjoy the restaurant style food at home.These can also be made half done and stored in the freezer for a party.
Whole wheat flour ... 2-3 cups (or as needed)
Dry yeast ............. 1 tsp
Sugar ................. 1 tsp
Salt ................... 1/2 tsp
Ajwain seeds ..... 1 tsp
Ghee / oil ........ 2 tbsps (for the dough )
Ghee / oil ...... to make rotis.
1. In a small bowl take 1/4 cup lukewarm water and add sugar.
2. Sprinkle yeast on top and set it in a warm place for a minute until it becomes frothy.
3. In a big bowl mix the wheat flour, melted ghee, salt and ajwain.
4. Knead it adding the yeast water first and litle more warm water if required.
5. Set the dough aside covered with a lid for few hours.
6. Take a small portion of the dough and roll out a thick roti..
7. Give a cut in the middle, spread ghee or oil and roll it as shown in the picture.
8. Now roll the roti again keeping the flaky surface on top. Do not dip into the flour for kneading.
9. Roast ot on a griddle until half done.
10. Using a pair of tongs, roast the half done roti on the gas directly.
11. Spoon a little ghee and serve hot.
Note: You can make the half done rotis and do the roasting on gas later just before serving.