Absolutely finger licking kaleji fry made in dhaba style. Tastes so delicious with tandoori rotis, naans or rumali rotis. Slow cooking and Sauteing / bhunofying gives the dishes a real good taste which is missing in the pressure cooked food. The liver gets cooked in its own juices and the ingredients are added one by one while sauteing. The salt has to be added at the finishing stage. This is the secret of a perfectly cooked liver. If you add it while cooking it becomes hard.
Goat kaleji / liver .... 400 gms
Onions .......... 2 sliced finely
Tomato ........ 1 small
Yogurt ......... 4-5 tbsps
Green chillies ... 2-3 (you can add more if you like )
Ginger .......... 1 tbsp grated
Garlic .......... 1 tbsp crushed
Black pepper corns .. 1 tsp
Bay leaves ............. 1-2
Cinnamon stick ..... 1 piece
Black cardamom .... 1
Cloves ................ 4-5
Coriander leaves ... handful
Mint leaves ........ few
Turmeric powder ... 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder .... 1 tsp
Red chilli powder ..... 1/4 tsp (or more )
Garam masala powder ... 1/2 tsp
Kasoori methi ... 1 tsp
Salt ..... to taste
Slit green chillies and ginger juliennes ... for garnishing.
Desi ghee ..... 1/4 cup (you can use oil if you like )
1. Wash the liver and cut into cubes.
2. In a pan heat the ghee and add the whole spices mentioned - pepper corns, cloves, black cardamom, cinnamon stick and bay leaves.
3. When they give out the aroma, add the sliced onions, and saute until light brown.
4. Add the ginger, garlic and green chillies and reduce the flame.
5. Now tip in the liver cubes and keep frying on a low flame without covering the pan.
6. Add the spice powders except garam masala, which you save to add at the end.
7. Now add the tomato pieces and continue cooking and stirring on low flame until you see the tomatoes are well blended.
8. Now add the whisked yogurt and mint leaves and coriander leaves. Mix well and cook until the yogurt is absorbed and the ghee / oil starts separating.
9. Now is the time to add the salt, kasoori methi and garam masala powder. Stir well and let it cook for a minute.
10. The liver is ready to be served.
Garnish with ginger juliennes and slit green chillies.
Serve it dhaba style with rotis or naans, a glass of lassi, raw green chillies, a piece of lemon nad onion slices.