Fish is every body's favourite in our family. I keep trying out varied recipes for a change. Fish kurma is very mild in spices and kids love it too.It can be served with plain rice or dosas and appams. You can choose any variety of fish available in your place. Surmai or any fish with a single middle bone is best for this curry.
Fish .... 5-6 slices
Onion .... 1 sliced finely
Green chillies ... 1-2 slit
Bay leaves ... 1-2
Cinnamon stick .. 1 piece
Salt ... to taste
Turmeric powder ... 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder .. 1/2 tsp
Oil .... 4-5 tbsps
For the masala :
Cashew nuts ... handful
Coconut ........ 1/2 cup
Green chillies .. 1-2
Ginger ..... 1 inch piece
Poppy seeds ... 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds .... 1/2 tsp
Grind the above ingredients to a smooth masala paste adding water.
1. Clean the fish and marinate it with salt and a little turmeric powder.
2. In a pan heat oil and add the whole spices mentioned in the list.
3. When you get the aroma, tip in the sliced onions and saute until translucent.
4. Now add the fish slices and fry them on both sides carefully without breaking. Re,move and set aside.
5. In the same pan add the ground masala paste, salt and the spice powders. Stir and simmer to cook for a few minutes.
6. Drop the fried fish slices carefully. Add the required amount of water as per your preference of the gravy thickness. Sprinkle the garam masala powder and The slit green chillies.
7. Simmer for 4-5 minutes until done.
Note: If you like a little sourness in the curry add 2-3 kokums or lemon juice. I do not add anything. You can use the Chatti (earthen pot ) to cook the fish if you have it.