Made some karela mathis for Diwali.. They are made in the shape of a karela look so cute to serve.
Maida / flour .... 2 cups
Ajwain ............ 1/2 tsp
Salt .... to taste
Ghee / oil ..... 2 tbsps (for moin / to mix in the flour )
Oil.. for frying
1. Mix the ajwain and moin in the flour. When you take a little dough in your fist it should not crumble. This is the way you test if the moin is sufficient.
2. Knead it with water as required to make a stiff dough. Cover the dough and rest it for 20 -30 minutes.
3. Take a little portion and roll into a thin puri of 3 inch diameter.
4. Make slits with a knife in the middle portion leaving out the ends.
5. Apply water on the edges and roll it sealing the edges lightly.
6. Drop them in medium hot oil first and then reduce the flame to fry them until crisp and golden.
Note: you can add some pepper in the dough if you like.
what a snack.. happy diwali dear :) plus i am going to try this.. very beautiful shapeReplyDelete
Thanks for liking dearDelete
I have had the sweet version of this at a friend's place..this looks interesting too :)ReplyDelete
Happy Diwali !!
Thanks Julie.. yes you can make the sweet mathris too.Delete
I too made this for Diwali. ...wish u too a very happy Diwali ☺ReplyDelete
very interesting recipe Shobha....happy diwali..ReplyDelete
New shape of mathris... Nice ...ReplyDelete
Thanks for likingDelete
An interesting snackReplyDelete
Thank u UshaDelete
Wht is moin?ReplyDelete
Moin is the ghee or oil added to the flour while kneading.. this gives the crispiness to the snackDelete