Leg of mutton. 1
Potatoes .. 8-10 (small ones )
Desi ghee ... as required
(If you do not want to use ghee you can use oil instead or half and half )
Yogurt .1/2 cup
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder ... 1/2 tsp
Salt .. as needed
Slivered almonds ... for garnishing
For Marination :
Yogurt ... 1/2 cup
Garlic paste ... 1 tbsp
Ginger paste.... 1 tbsp
Raw papaya paste .. 2 tbsps ( if you don't have it you can use meat tenderizer instead according to the instructions on the bottle )
Salt ....... 1 tbsp
Turmeric .... 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice ... 2 tbsps
Dry Masala :
Dessicated dry coconut ... 3-4 tbsps
Sesame seeds ................. 2 tbsps
Poppy seeds ................ 1 tbsp
( Dry roast and grind these to a powder)
Wet Masala :
(Fry all these ingredients one by one in desi ghee before grinding. You can add a little water while grinding them.)
Onions ..... 2 large
Green chillies .. 2-3
Garlic cloves .... 10 - 12
Ginger ............. 2 inch piece
Raisins ......... 2 tbsps
Cashew nuts .. handful
Charoli .......... handful
Cloves ........ 5-6
Cinnamon .... 2 inch piece
1. Clean the leg of mutton well after removing all the fat. Pierce it with a knife to allow the marination go into the crevices.
2. Rub the marination well on both the sides. Wrap the plate with a cling film and keep it in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
3. Now pre-heat the oven and reduce it to medium. Place the leg in a large tray lined with ghee or oil.
5. Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and fry them on very low flame until they are soft taking care not to make them brown.
7. Now tip in the dry masala and also the salt the spice powders mentioned in the list.
8. Whisk the remaining curd with the strained gravy from the baking tray and add it to the pan. The consistency of the gravy depends on your preference. So add water accordingly.
9. When you are ready to serve, heat the leg again and wrap the bone with a foil paper. Place it in a serving dish. Spread the fried potatoes around it and pour the gravy on it spreading evenly.Garnish with slivered almonds and serve.
Pin for later
You may also like: