This is one of the Sindhi preparation of Moong dal. CHURI means NOT MUSHY.. the grains of dal have to be whole. We have to cook this very carefully on low flame and add very little water taking care not to make it soft and mushy. Usually this is served as an accompaniment with MALPURAS (malpuas) for breakfast. It can also be served as a side dish with PURIS and SEERO
Moong dal .... 1 cup
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Salt .............. to taste
Black pepper (crushed) .. to sprinkle on top
1. Soak moong dal for a few hours.
2. Heat a little oil in a thick bottomed pan and add the soaked moong dal.
3. Stir-fry for half a minute and sprinkle a little water over it. Add salt and turmeric powder and mix.
4. Close with the lid and cook on sim. Check after a while and sprinkle a little water again if required.
5. It may look a little under-cooked but close the gas and leave it covered.
It gets perfectly cooked with the heat inside. Separate it with a fork carefully after opening the lid.
6. Sprinkle freshly ground black pepper. You can squeeze a little lime juice if you prefer.
Left-over dal can be used to make patties or stuffed parathas.
Pin for later
You may also like: