This is a very flavourful dal preparation from Rajasthan. A mixture of five dals cooked together with tempering. You can also give the smoke effect to it by placing a piece of lit charcoal in a katori and putting a little ghee on it . You then cover the vessel with a lid or foil paper.This really gives it a rustic taste. I did not have moth dal so I used whole moong instead. This dal is usually served with batis. But you can also serve it with rice and rotis too.
Toor / arhar dal .... 1/4 cup
Chana dal ............. 1/4 cup
Yellow moong dal .. 1/4 cup
Urad dal ................ handful
Green mung .......... handful
Green chilies ... 1-2
Ginger ........ 1 tsp
Tomato ....... 1
Coriander leaves ... handful
Asafoetida .... a generous pinch
Red chilli powder .... 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds ........... 1 tsp
Garam masala powder .. 1/2 tsp
Ghee or oil ..... 2 tbsps
Salt ......... to taste
1. Wash and soak all the dals together for couple of hours.
2. Pressure cook with 2-3 cups of water with a little salt and turmeric powder. Alternately you can slow cook in a pot which is the traditional way .
3. Mash it lightly and add more water as per your preference of the consistency and adjust the salt.
4. In a pan heat the ghee or oil and the asafoetida and cumin seeds. When they crackle add the ginger, green chillies and chopped tomato. Simmer until the tomato gets cooked.
5. Add the garam masala powder and red chilli powder in the final stage and stir the tempering into the prepared dal.
Garnish with coriander leaves.
Note: Just before serving heat a little ghee and add a pinch of red chilli powder. Pour it on dal to give a nice look to the dish.