Kantola, also known as kakrol is a spiny green gourd slightly bitter in taste. It has tiny seeds inside like tendli. and it tastes best when stir fried with spices. However you can make it in a curry form also.
Kantola ... 250 gms
Onion ..... 1 sliced (optional )
Turmeric powder ... 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder ... 1 tsp
Red chilli powder .. 1/2 tsp
Amchoor powder ... 1/4 tsp
Green chillies ..... 1-2 slit
Salt .......... to taste
Oil ..... 3-4 tbsps
For tempering Panch Phoran :
Mustard seeds ... 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds .... 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds .. 1/4 tsp
Nigella / onion seeds ....... 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds ...... 1/2 tsp
1. Wash the kantolas and wipe them with a kitchen napkin well as the vegetable is spiny.
2. Cut them into long strips or just cut them into four.
3. In a pan heat oil and add the panch phoran masalas.
4. When the seeds crackle, stir in the vegetable strips and saute.
5. Now tip in the onion slices if you are adding any and then sprinkle the salt and turmeric powder.
6. Stir fry on high first and reduce the flame after a minute.
7. Spoon all the masalas and simmer to cook stirring it a couple of times.
8. When the kantola gets cooked saute on high flame to give it a nice colour.
You may add coriander leaves before serving if you like.