Made this for the ONLY tried and tasted event from Foodelicious.
See the original recipe - HERE
Toor dal ... 2/3 cup
Chana dal .... 1/3 cup
Garlic ........... 1 tsp (crushed)
Ginger .......... 1 small piece (grated)
Kasoori methi .... 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds .... 1 tsp
Onion .... 1 (chopped finely)
Tomato ... 1 medium ( cut into small cubes)
Turmeric powder ... 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder ... 1 tsp
Red chilli powder ... 1/4 tsp ( add more if you like it spicier)
Asafoetida ... a pinch (optional)
Salt ..... to taste
Oil .... 2 - 3 tbsps
you can also use ghee (clarified butter) for nice flavour.. or both
1. Wash dals and soak them for 2-3 hours.
2. In a pressure cooker add 2 cups water and the soaked dals with a little salt and turmeric powder. Boil for one whistle. Dal should not be overcooked and mushy. Alternately you may even boil it in a pan.
3. Now take a pan and heat the ghee / oil. Add the cumin seeds. When they crackle add the ginger, garlic, asafoetida and onions. Saute until translucent.
4. Add the tomatoes and kasoori methi. and simmer until the tomatoes are cooked. Now tip in the coriander powder and red chilli powder. Mix well.
5. Add this tadka to the cooked dal and stir carefully.
I can never tire of dals and its many varieties!! such a simple lentil but amazing ways of making it, will try this version...am glad to visit here , long due, you have an amazing blog Shobha:-)ReplyDelete
Thanks for liking my blog Radha, and your sweet words of appreciation really made my day. You are right .. even I can never get tired of eating any kind of dal preparation. Do keep visiting :)Delete
Yummy Yummy!!! Gimme a plate of steamed rice and a bowl of dal-fry... I won't ask for anything else in dinner :) I loved addition of Kasoori methi here!!!ReplyDelete
Shruti..most welcome to join me for dinnerDelete
The daal looks perfectly made dear. I'm glad that you tried my recipe and I hope you liked it.ReplyDelete
Loved it Pari.. simple and yummy. Dal is my favouriteDelete
Nothing is as delicious as a comforting bowl of dal...ReplyDelete
on any given day, i can eat dal chawal with side of pickle. this looks yummyReplyDelete
Same here LinsyDelete
Delicious dal thadka, Love it Thanks for sharing with hearth and Soul blog hopReplyDelete
My pleasure SwathiDelete
One of the best dal fry recipes.Thank you mam for this yum recipes....ReplyDelete
Easy And Nice Recipes