Try out this restaurant style dal fry at home.
Made this for the ONLY tried and tasted event from Foodelicious.
See the original recipe - HERE
Toor dal ... 2/3 cup
Chana dal .... 1/3 cup
Garlic ........... 1 tsp (crushed)
Ginger .......... 1 small piece (grated)
Kasoori methi .... 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds .... 1 tsp
Onion .... 1 (chopped finely)
Tomato ... 1 medium ( cut into small cubes)
Turmeric powder ... 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder ... 1 tsp
Red chilli powder ... 1/4 tsp ( add more if you like it spicier)
Asafoetida ... a pinch (optional)
Salt ..... to taste
Oil .... 2 - 3 tbsps
you can also use ghee (clarified butter) for nice flavour.. or both
1. Wash dals and soak them for 2-3 hours.
2. In a pressure cooker add 2 cups water and the soaked dals with a little salt and turmeric powder. Boil for one whistle. Dal should not be overcooked and mushy. Alternately you may even boil it in a pan.
3. Now take a pan and heat the ghee / oil. Add the cumin seeds. When they crackle add the ginger, garlic, asafoetida and onions. Saute until translucent.
4. Add the tomatoes and kasoori methi. and simmer until the tomatoes are cooked. Now tip in the coriander powder and red chilli powder. Mix well.
5. Add this tadka to the cooked dal and stir carefully.