Sweet mango pickle is a nice accompaniment with parathas, puris, koki, theplas.. Kids love it too. The process of making it is very simple.
Raw mangoes ... 2-3
Sugar ...... 3/4 cup
Water .... 2 cups
Dry whole red chillies .. 2-3
Bay leaf ... 1-2
Cinnamon stick .. 1 piece
Cumin seeds ... 1/2 tsp
Black cardamom... 1
Green cardamoms .. 3 - 4
Nigella seeds / onion seeds .. 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder .. 1/4 tsp
Vinegar .... 1 tbsp (optional)
Salt .. 2 tsps
1. Wash the mangoes well. Peel the skin and cut them into thick strips.
2. Sprinkle salt over them and spread them on a cloth. Dry them in the sun for a day or two.
3. In a pan take the sugar, pour 2 cups water and bring it to a boil. If the mago pieces are bigger in size add half cup more.
4. When the sugar melts and it starts to bubble, add the mango pieces.
5. Now add all the whole spices mentioned in the list one by one.
6. Tip in the turmeric powder and red chilli powder and continue to stir until it thickens and the mango pieces become translucent.
7.Stir in the vinegar after it cools. I did not add any.
Note: The sugar content should be adjusted according to your liking and the sourness of the mangoes Keep tasting in between and add more if required.