Dal rasam is one of the rasam varieties in the South Indian Cuisine. I prefer this to others as it is less tangy and the addition of dal gives a thicker consistency. This rasam served with plain rice and fried fish is an awesome combo and our family favourite.
Cooked toor dal ... 1/2 cup
Tamarind juice ..... 2-3 tbsps
Tomato .............. 1
Garlic ........... 2-3 pieces crushed
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder ... 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds ... 1 tsp (crushed)
Pepper corns ... 1/2 tsp (crushed)
Mustard seeds ... 1 tsp
Asafoetida .... a pinch
Curry leaves ... few
Sugar or jaggery ... little for balancing the taste
Coriander leaves ... for garnishing.
Oil .... 2 tbsps
1. In a pan heat oil and add the mustard seeds and asafoetida.When the seeds crackle add the curry leaves,crushed pepper corns and cumin seeds.
2. Now add the crushed garlic and give it a stir.Add the tomato pieces and crush them a little with the spoon.
3. Stir in the cooked dal adding 2 or 3 cups of water as per your preference of consistency.
4. Add the tamarind juice, salt, chilli powder and sugar or jaggery.
5. Bring it to a boil and simmer for few minutes. Add coriander leaves.
Pin for later
You may also like:
aftter trying my rasam, my huby wanted dal rasam, this looks nice to start with.ReplyDelete
We love rasam too.. make it often. It is light and tasty.Delete
Rasam is such a comfort food.. paruppu rasam looks delicious.ReplyDelete