This is a very simple Sindhi preparation of toori / turai ( Ridge Gourd ) cooked with chana dal. (Bengal Gram ). You can serve with rotis or rice dishes.
Ridge Gourds / Smooth Gourds .. 5-6
Chana Dal / Bengal Gram Dal ..... 1/2 cup
Onion ............. 1 large ( about 1 cup sliced )
Tomato .......... 1
Green chillies ... 2-3
Ginger .......... 1 tbsp (grated )
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Cumin powder ..... 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder .. 1/2 tsp
Garam masala ....... 1/2 tsp
Salt ........ to taste
Oil ...... 2-3 tbsps
1. Wash and soak chana dal for 1-2 hours.
2. Peel and cut the gourds into pieces. Taste while cutting as sometimes ridge gourds are very bitter.
3. In a pan heat oil and fry the onion to light brown colour.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes, ginger, toori and chana dal on top.
5. Add the salt and the spice powders.
6. Add sufficient water and simmer until chana dal is cooked. Remember that the toori also leaves water. So you can add half a cup first and check it. You can add more if required.
7. If you are pressure cooking it then the quantity of water will be less. But keep in mind that the dal should not be over-cooked.