Chana dal ... 1 cup
Bay leaf ... 1
Green cardamoms ... 3
Cloves .............. 3
Cinnamon stick ... 1 inch piece
Dry red chillies ..... 2
Onion .... 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
Garlic ...... 1 clove (crushed)
Ginger ..... 1 tsp (grated)
Tomato puree ... 1 tbsp
Asafoetida ... a pinch
Turmeric powder ... 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder ... 1/4 tsp
Sugar ... 1/4 tsp
Salt .... to taste
1. Wash and soak dal for few hours.
2. Pressure cook dal with 2 cups water adding salt and turmeric powder. The lentils should remain separate. Avoid making them mushy.
3. Heat oil in a frying pan. Add the whole spices first and when they leave an aroma add the asafoetida and the chopped onion, ginger and garlic.
4. Fry until the onion becomes slightly brown. Now add the pureed tomato and the spice powders, salt and sugar. Saute until the oil separates.
5. Add the tempering to the cooked dal. Add water according to the consistency you desire.Bring to a boil.
such a comforting bowl of dal... yum...ReplyDelete
Yes .. a perfect combo with riceDelete
Awesome Bengali dal sis...looks really delicious and inviting.ReplyDelete
Already liked your fb page.
Looks Yummmy :DReplyDelete
good recipe! :)ReplyDelete
Very yummy! Love this spiced up dal!ReplyDelete
Very comforting!!! Loved the texture of this dal...ReplyDelete
Visit me @ http://facebook.com/cookingwithsj :)
tempting n delicious dal....ReplyDelete
Looks like a comforting food, makes me hungry;ReplyDelete
Yes dear.. dal surely is a comfort foodDelete
love to try this way too. looks yummyReplyDelete
Thanks for liking LinsyDelete
I make a gujarati version of this regularly We love it , its so healthy and delicious.ReplyDelete
Would love to try your version too.. thanks NaynaDelete
delicious looking dal. Always looking for new ways to prepare dal. Thanks for sharing this recipe.ReplyDelete
Same here.. I never get tired of dal prepared any which wayDelete
Thank you for liking my versionReplyDelete